Thursday, May 20, 2010

Back for more? My month in Colorado...

November 21 - 28

January 27 - February 7

April 12 - 19



So, I got to spend about 28 days in Colorado this "year." Believe it or not, I think I'd like to spend some more! I know! My dad and I are planning a summer trip to tour the sites. Maybe 10 days of travel around the state. Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Pikes Peak, and more. 38 days in Colorado in a year? I should just move.



BTW - Our last trip was a blast, and quite different than all the others we'd experienced. April 12, being my birthday, was an excellent day for arrival. It had just snowed over four feet of fresh snow less than five days earlier, and I was expecting EPIC spring conditions. For rain? Apparently. The night of April 12, it proceeded to pour, making the hill cold, icy, and just not fun. The next day, however, was amazing - as was the remainder of the week. Highlights? Coors Brewing Factory tour. Smash Burger. Lots of movies. Dam Road Closed (an inside joke). Turning a year older and not only getting a BUICK as a rental car (albeit, the very nicely appointed Enclave), but also being placed in the handicap access room (Am I really that old?). Aspen Extreme. Pond skimming. No crowds...or should I just say no people - period. The entire week, I rode up the chairlift with someone only a handful of times - and that was because I'm not sure my wife would want to ride up alone! What more could I ask for?



Well, back to the future - could I spend more time in Colorado? Yep! I think I will. When asked recently what I'd do if I wasn't working my current job, I joked: I would like to be a ski bum. Or maybe ski patrol. A ski instructor? A liftie? An actor in the remake of Aspen Extreme? How about the Director of Employee Relations for the Vail Resorts? That last one has a nice ring to it - as would the Epic Pass around my neck that working there would afford me. :-)



Speaking of my Epic Pass. I received an email from the Vail Resorts telling me that my pass was (amazingly) still good, even though all but Arapahoe Basin had closed. Good? In the summer? Yep, why not go where summer is winter. Las Lenas, Argentina. Oh how amazing would that be? I can dream, can't I?



Until next time...I'll be dreaming about my next CO trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment