Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ski Colorado: January 27 - February 7

Ski Colorado lately? I have been fortunate to recently (a whole month in Breckenridge in the last year! Am I a local yet?), and it's insane! While El Nino may be "sparing" them from the massive snows they usually receive, the resorts are as inviting as ever, and provide you with some amazing memories.


I was fortunate enough to have purchased an Epic Pass this year (www.snow.com/epicpass/home.aspx). What's that mean? Well, I can hit up five different resorts in Colorado, and one in California. Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Heavenly, Keystone, and Vail. The only question to ask yourself is: Where do I start?

Well, here's a rundown from my recent trip:

Breckenridge (www.breckenridge.com/): What's not to love? The mountain really has it all. Greens, blues, blacks, double blacks, back country. Further? It's has an amazing town to have fun in if you're not into the slopes (or even if that's all you do). Need recommendations for places to stay? Try hitting up www.vacationrentals.com to find a cabin or condo that's close to the slopes, has a spa, and doesn't mind you and six of your old fraternity buddies living it up. If you're so inclined (financially), purchase a place at the HGVC resort Valdoro Mountain Lodge (www.valdoro.com). It's the place to be - right next to Peak 9, and with free shuttle access to everything Breckenridge. With restaurants like Downstairs at Erics - bar cam anyone (www.downstairsaterics.com/barcam.aspx), Empire Burger, Giampietro's, Mi Casa, Spencer's at Beaver Run, or the world famous (at least with my wife) Clint's Bakery - Breckenridge has it all.

Arapahoe Basin (www.arapahoebasin.com/): Feel like spending a day away from the crowds? Don't want to spend $100 on a lift ticket? Want to get off the beaten path a little? Check out A-Basin. Not a bad mountain at all (reminds me a lot of old-school Kirkwood here in CA). Unfortunately, they had less snow than most the other resorts - but a day where they had four inches just in the afternoon made it an amazing place to hang. They have some great terrain, and really, I look forward to getting back there someday when it's just dumping. Lessons, anyone? This is the place to go. Full-day, half-day, and 2-hour lessons cost less than a third of the big resorts, and they give you the one-on-one you want and the skills you need to be able to conquer the hills. What a great value. Parking? Free. Food? Cheaper. Fun? Lots! Check it out.

Vail (www.vail.com/): What can you say about Vail outside of "It's huge!" The largest ski resort I've ever been to. The largest ski resort in the United States. The most posh group of people you'll probably ever be around. Is that a good thing? Eh. It offers up a lot of people watching opporunities! Better than that, Vail offers up an extraordinary mountain. From Blue Sky Basin to the Back Bowls to the Front Side, Vail offers up more varied and extreme terrain than you can believe. Could you ski it all in one day? Not a chance. Could you ski it all in one week? Maybe not - it's that big. I loved the place, and would put it at the number one ski resort I've been to. That's saying alot considering my list of places I've skied. Days after the last snow? Still skiing untouched powder off Sunrise Bowl's trees! There's a lot of people that go to Vail mountain, so keep that in mind. Lift lines can be long - as long as Breck on their busy days, but with so much terrain, you may never see them while on the slopes! Parking isn't cheap, but what is in Vail? With $97 lift ticket prices (unless you've got my Epic Pass!), you'd better plan on staying from dawn until dusk. Further, hang out in Vail Village and Lionshead Village. Grab a $2 beer at Loaded Joe's right before the Vail Bridge to end your day.

Beaver Creek (www.beavercreek.com/): If it's good enough for Joe, it's good enough for me? Hanging out at Beaver Creek on my second to last day, I'm headed to the escalator from the slopes (yep, you read that right) and who do I happen upon? The Vice President himself, Joe Biden. After him giving me his best grimacesmile, I thoroughly enjoyed everything that the Beav had to offer. In fact, I wish I'd been able to spend more time there. Terrain? Birds of Prey, anyone? Their double-blacks definitely weren't blues elsewhere. The village was amazing. You have to check out Dusty Boot Saloon. It is the place to be! Order up the Fat Tire Burger - probably the best I've ever had. The downside to the Beav? Parking! Even more expensive than Vail. The skiing, sights, sounds, smells, and hanging out with Vice President Biden more than make up for it.

What's not to love about a pass like that? So far, I've logged 15 days on the mountain. Not bad for living in a place with traffic for miles and miles and the nearest ski hill having about 1,000 feet worth of vertical drop and blacks that would be greens at most resorts (http://www.snow-valley.com), and yet it is "home." Believe it or not, Snow Valley had more snow than those big bad CO resorts! Yikes! I'll probably spend most of my remaining ski days this year at Snow Valley - this weekend even - night ski time!

No comments:

Post a Comment